Michigan State University Extension
Preserving Food Safely - 01600588
Prepare smelt as in Brining Procedure for Pickling Fish
10 lb. smelt (brined and cut) 1 1/2 quarts white vinegar (5% acidity) 3 1/2 cups sugar 8 bay leaves 10 whole cloves 2 teaspoons mustard seed 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
To pack in jars:
Lemon slices Onion slices 1. Place smelt in a bowl and cover with white vinegar. Let stand 24 hours in refrigerator.
2. In a pan, combine 1 1/2 quarts white vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to boil.
3. Drain fish. Add to boiling pickling solution and simmer for 10 minutes or until fish is easily pierced with a fork.
4. Remove fish from pickling solution and spread in single layer in shallow pan. Refrigerate for rapid cooling.
5. Pack cold fish loosely in clean jars.
6. Add lemon slices and onion slices if desired.
7. Bring pickling solution back to a boil and pour over fish. Seal.
8. Store in refrigerator. Use within six weeks.